STEVEHOLLYSince 2009

Transaction Stories

The $100,000 Appraisal That Should Have Killed the Deal

A real transaction story about a relocation buyer, a dramatically low appraisal, and the decision to restart financing fast enough to save the purchase.

Situation

I represented a family relocating for a job with a start date that was not moving. He had to be here and ready to work by a specific date.

They found the home they wanted.

Based on the comparable sales, I told them there was some appraisal risk. It was a balanced market, and I thought the appraisal could reasonably come in a few thousand dollars under the contract price.

They understood that. They wanted the house and were prepared to bridge a modest gap if necessary.

Their offer was accepted. The inspection went well.

Then the appraisal came back.

It was approximately $100,000 below the purchase price.

Decision

That was not a normal appraisal gap.

I reviewed the valuation and could see how the appraiser reached the number using the comparable sales he selected.

The problem was what had been left out.

There were other legitimate comparable sales that supported a very different conclusion. The issue, in my view, was not that the market suddenly said the house was worth $100,000 less. It was that the selection of comparable properties produced a result that did not reflect the broader market evidence.

I challenged the appraisal.

The value did not change.

The seller was not willing to reduce the price by six figures, and my buyers were not in a position to simply cover a gap of that size.

Doing nothing meant losing the house.

Reasoning

At that point, we needed a genuinely independent look at the property.

The practical path was moving the buyers to another lender and beginning a new loan process with a new appraisal.

Normally, restarting financing that late in a transaction would create a serious timing problem.

In this case, timing was already critical.

My buyer had a job start date he could not move. If we lost too much time trying to rescue the existing financing, there would not be enough time left to start over.

So we moved immediately.

There was very little margin for hesitation.

Outcome

Less than two weeks later, the new appraisal came back at full contract value.

The house had not changed.

The market had not changed.

A different appraisal, using a different evaluation of the available market evidence, produced a dramatically different result.

We closed only a few days later than originally planned.

My buyer made his job start date.

The seller received the contract price.

And neither side had to make a six-figure compromise simply because the first valuation said they should.

Lesson

When something in a transaction does not add up, I do not think the answer is automatically to accept it because it came from an appraiser, inspector, lender, or another professional.

Sometimes the information is correct.

Sometimes the interpretation deserves another look.

The important part is knowing the difference, understanding what options are actually available, and acting quickly enough that those options still exist.

In this transaction, accepting the first answer would almost certainly have ended the deal.

Questioning it, finding another path, and moving immediately is what kept it alive.

For more on how I think about transaction risk and negotiation, read Real Estate Negotiation That Keeps the Deal Together and Price, Terms, and Certainty.